Love Your Body
There’s been a lot of controversy during the last week about a photo of a “normal woman” in the September issue of Glamour Magazine. Body image is certainly an area that trips a lot of women up, and I am one of them. The blog post about the reaction to the photo talks about how important it is for us to see women who look like us to be able to develop healthy self concepts. Being happy in our own skins is something that most women have to continually work on our whole lives.
The Supergirl Dilemma outlines two areas where girls’ attitudes went backward instead of forward between 2000 and 2006–
- 84% of girls say they are under a lot of pressure to dress the right way
- 60% of girls say the most popular girls in school are very thin
Dove’s Self-Esteem has a Toolkit and Resources you may find helpful. Here are some other sites you can take a look at–
- Memoir to My Former Self–This video, written by 17-year-old Katrina Garcia, explores body image, eating disorders, women’s rights and cliques. It presents several viewpoints and delivers a message of developing a strong sense of self. Some processing questions might be–
- What are the issues facing the girl in the video?
- Have you had any similar experiences?
- How did the video make you feel?
- How do you feel about being female?
- What would you do if you were the girl in the movie?
- What would you do if you were her friend?
- A Girl Like Me–This movie was directed by Kiri Davis, when she was a teen living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York. The film is about an experiment Kiri conducted based on one from the 1950’s. Her film was featured on Media That Matters and is an inspiration to any young woman or filmmaker, present or future.
- Shea B. invented the #Freshface Friday campaign to combat the pressure she and her high school friends felt to wear makeup. The Miss Representation Facebook page highlights actions like hers that promote healthy body image. Their Web site has a link to a movie and a lot of other stuff you can do about this important issue.